International Students

Home 9 Future Students 9 International Students

Frequently asked questions for International Students

1. How do I demonstrate proficiency in English?

English is the primary language of communication and instruction in the program. Applicants who have not completed a degree at a university in a country where the primary language of instruction is English must demonstrate proficiency in English to be considered for admission. 

This can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:

  • A minimum score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no individual sub-category score less than 6.5
  • A minimum score of 100 on the Internet Based Test (iBT) version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), including a minimum score of 27 in the Written component and a minimum score of 27 in the Reading component.
  • A minimum score of 60 (Brock & Lakehead Universities) and 70 (University of Windsor) on the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) examination.

The Joint PhD program only accepts IELTS, TOEFL, or CAEL. Please note that Duolingo is not accepted. 

2. What are the funding opportunities for international students?

Each University (Brock, Lakehead, and Windsor) provide their own funding packages for PhD students. The funding package includes grants and a graduate assistantship position that typically covers the tuition costs for domestic students. Additional funding is offered to at least one international student at each Home University. 

Below are the links about Tuition and Funding for each Home University

Brock University

Lakehead University

University of Windsor 

3. How do I secure a supervisor for my application?

Lakehead University and the University of Windsor require applicants to secure a supervisor in their application. Brock University recommends applicants secure a supervisor, but it is not required. 

Steps to approach a potential supervisor:

  • Review the Designated Faculty List to identify faculty with research interests that align with your research focus. 
  • Potential Supervisors must be at the applicants first choice of Home University.
  • Email potential supervisors to let them know your intent to apply to the PhD program, your research plan, and request for supervision. 

4. Where can I learn more about support for international students?

Brock University:

Lakehead University:

University of Windsor:

Skip to content